Be a part of our growing volunteer program!
Valley Animal Haven is looking for volunteers who are passionate about animal welfare and furthering the mission of Valley Animal Haven.
We provide training to help you build the skills that prepare you to improve the lives of the homeless animals in our care. We also train you to help educate the community about humane animal care and services available to pet owners. We accept individual and group volunteers from age 14 - 100+, and provide a wide variety of job assignments for any skill set. Volunteer opportunities are available on the days/times as specified on our volunteer schedule.
* Must be able to commit to a minimum of 36 volunteer service hours to be completed within a 6 month
period. We are happy to provide a certification letter, for volunteer hours served, in increments of 20 hours of service. No letters will
be issued for less than 20 volunteer hours.
* A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS IS REQUIRED!!! We must be able to reach you via email with follow-up instructions for Orientation, etc. Please be sure that you have a valid email address on your application. Applications that do not have a valid email address will not be considered.
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
* Volunteers under 18 years old WILL NOT be allowed to help with kennel cleaning, dog walking, or entering
* Court-ordered volunteers are accepted on a case-by-case basis. Absolutely no charges of theft, burglary, or
assault will be allowed.
* Volunteers under 18 years of age must attend orientation with a parent/guardian in order to complete
required permission slip and waiver forms. Parents/guardians do not need to be present during volunteer
service after initial orientation.
* We REQUIRE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS to allow us to correspond with applicants regarding orientation, assignment scheduling, etc. Please click "ALLOW EMAIL NEWSLETTERS" on your application to allow us to communicate with you regarding scheduling.
Adults (18+ years old)
Whether you like walking dogs, cleaning kennels, socializing with cats, assisting in the office, helping customers, or if you wish to become an ambassador at our education/adoption/fundraising events, Valley Animal Haven can utilize your skills to help animals.
Youth Volunteer Program (14-17 years old)
The following positions are available in our Youth Volunteer Program:
* Cat Care - cleaning litter boxes and cat enclosure. Cat socialization and enrichment. Preparing food and water for enclosures.
* Special Events - fundraisers, community events
* V.A.H. Ambassadors - sharing information with public at community events
* Office Assistant - cleaning, filing, organizing, stuffing adoption envelopes, preparing adoption goody bags,
* Facility Maintenance - cleaning windows, sweeping, parking lot cleanup, kennel alleyway cleaning,
* General - folding laundry, washing dishes.
These positions require that volunteers be serious about their commitment and willing to take instruction while working as part of a team. The use of cell phones, headphones, or any other technological device is not permitted while volunteering at our facility.
Due to liability reasons, volunteers under the age of 18 yrs. are NOT PERMITTED to assist with dog walking or kennel cleaning.
Group Volunteer Service:
We are accepting business, military, church, club, and community organizations to participate in volunteer activities at Valley Animal Haven. Groups should be between 5 and 20 people. Groups should be scheduled at least two weeks in advance of their desired volunteer date. Activities will be project based and determined by Valley Animal Haven to meet shelter needs at that time. Groups will receive an orientation and tour during their volunteer service day. Please contact us by email to schedule your group.
How to Become a Volunteer:
Step 1. Apply online: Click below to apply
Note: Volunteers MUST choose "accept emails" in order to receive the invitation to attend orientation.
Step 2. Attend a Volunteer Orientation Meeting. Orientations are held on the first Saturday and third Thursday of each month from 10am-11am. Once your application is reviewed you will be notified of the next available orientation date. At the orientation you will be provided with a presentation and tour of the shelter.
Step 3. Begin Volunteering: Upon completion of orientation you will be able to register for volunteer activities through our online portal. Information for online registration will be provided at orientation.
Why do I have to pay a surrender fee?Valley Animal Haven is a non-profit, private animal shelter. We do not rely on Federal, State or Municipal funding to keep our doors open. The surrender fee covers some costs associated with the care of your pet while they are looking for their forever home. Costs will cover: 1. Food and Kennel Expenses 2. Vaccinations 3. Spay or Neuter 4. Microchipping 5. Flea and Tick Prevention 6. Deworming
Will you take a litter of puppies or kittens?Litters of puppies or kittens are taken in on a space available basis. Please contact the office for additional information.
Can I just bring my dog or cat in?No. Valley Animal Haven takes owner surrendered animals by appointment only. Please complete a questionnaire to begin the process of surrendering your animal. We prioritize bringing in animals from municipal animal control agences. These animals have run out of time to be adopted and could face euthanasia if we cannot intervene.
Why do I need to schedule an appointment for a temperament evaluation for my dog?Our Kennels are communal living spaces. A temperament evaluation will allow us to determine if your dog will get along with its potential kennel mates. It also gives us an opportunity to determine if the animal will get along with our Staff and Volunteers.
My dog or cat can be aggressive. Will you accept them?No. Our kennels are communal living environments. Therefore, we cannot accept aggressive or terrirorial animals. This is to ensure the safety of our Staff, Volunteers and our Animal Companions. Kennel living can be a very stressful environment. Especially if the pet has not been properly socialized and dislikes being around other animals or sharing their personal space. If your animal does not pass a temperament evaluation, we would be unable to accept your animal into our facility.
I am being told you are full. Can I placed on a waiting list?We do not offer a waiting list for owner surrendered animals. We prioritize rescuing animals at risk of euthanasia at municipal animal control agencies. Because of this, our kennel space fluctuates on a daily basis.
I adopted my animal from Valley Animal Haven. Can I bring it back?Valley Animal Haven will always try to accept our animal back into our facility. Please contact our office immediately to ensure that we can make space for our animal to return to our facility.
I adopted my animal from another rescue. Will you take my animal?We recommend that you contact the rescue you adopted your animal from to see if they are willing to accept your animal. If you do not receive a response, please complete a surrender questionnaire to begin the surrender process.