Be a part of our growing volunteer program!
Valley Animal Haven is looking for volunteers who are passionate about animal welfare and furthering the mission of Valley Animal Haven.
We provide training to help you build the skills that prepare you to improve the lives of the homeless animals in our care. We also train you to help educate the community about humane animal care and services available to pet owners. We accept individual and group volunteers from age 14 - 100+, and provide a wide variety of job assignments for any skill set. Volunteer opportunities are available on the days/times as specified on our volunteer schedule.
* Must be able to commit to a minimum of 36 volunteer service hours to be completed within a 6 month
period. We are happy to provide a certification letter, for volunteer hours served, in increments of 20 hours of service. No letters will
be issued for less than 20 volunteer hours.
* Adult volunteers (age 18 and older) have a mandatory $15 fee which includes basic supplies and a required "volunteer" t-shirt.
* A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS IS REQUIRED!!! We must be able to reach you via email with follow-up instructions for Orientation, etc. Please be sure that you have a valid email address on your application. Applications that do not have a valid email address will not be considered.
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
* Volunteers under 18 years old WILL NOT be allowed to help with kennel cleaning, dog walking, or entering
* Court-ordered volunteers are accepted on a case-by-case basis. Absolutely no charges of theft, burglary, or
assault will be allowed.
* Volunteers under 18 years of age must attend orientation with a parent/guardian in order to complete
required permission slip and waiver forms. Parents/guardians do not need to be present during volunteer
service after initial orientation.
* We REQUIRE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS to allow us to correspond with applicants regarding orientation, assignment scheduling, etc. Please click "ALLOW EMAIL NEWSLETTERS" on your application to allow us to communicate with you regarding scheduling.
Adults (18+ years old)
Whether you like walking dogs, cleaning kennels, socializing with cats, assisting in the office, helping customers, or if you wish to become an ambassador at our education/adoption/fundraising events, Valley Animal Haven can utilize your skills to help animals.
Youth Volunteer Program (14-17 years old)
The following positions are available in our Youth Volunteer Program:
* Cat Care - cleaning litter boxes and cat enclosure. Cat socialization and enrichment. Preparing food and water for enclosures.
* Special Events - fundraisers, community events
* V.A.H. Ambassadors - sharing information with public at community events
* Office Assistant - cleaning, filing, organizing, stuffing adoption envelopes, preparing adoption goody bags,
* Facility Maintenance - cleaning windows, sweeping, parking lot cleanup, kennel alleyway cleaning,
* General - folding laundry, washing dishes.
These positions require that volunteers be serious about their commitment and willing to take instruction while working as part of a team. The use of cell phones, headphones, or any other technological device is not permitted while volunteering at our facility.
Due to liability reasons, volunteers under the age of 18 yrs. are NOT PERMITTED to assist with dog walking or kennel cleaning.
Group Volunteer Service:
We are accepting business, military, church, club, and community organizations to participate in volunteer activities at Valley Animal Haven. Groups should be between 5 and 20 people. Groups MUST be scheduled at least two weeks in advance of their desired volunteer date. Activities will be project based and determined by Valley Animal Haven to meet shelter needs at that time. A $20 per group donation is requested to help offset the cost of supplies and equipment. Groups will receive an orientation and tour during their volunteer service day. Please contact us by email or phone (559) 997-3601 to schedule your group.
How to Become a Volunteer:
Step 1. Apply online: Click here to apply
Step 2. Attend a MANDATORY Volunteer Orientation Meeting. Orientation will be held every Thursday morning from 9am-10am AND on the first and third Saturdays each month from 9am-10am in our shelter main office. At the orientation you will be provided with a presentation and tour of the shelter.
Step 3. Begin Volunteering: Upon completion of orientation you will be able to register for volunteer activities through our online portal. Information for online registration will be provided at orientation.